About bottle gourd/lau/lauki:
This South Asian squash is indeed bottle shaped, light green and long. The flesh inside is spongy and you can also cut it into small pieces and make a curry out of it. Bottle gourd or lauki is over 90% water therefore it is easy to digest.
Ayurvedic health benefits of bottle gourd/lau/ lauki:
1. Ayurveda recommends cooked lauki or bottle gourd for better digestion. It is cooling, calming, diuretic and anti-bilious.
2. Like cranberries, bottle gourd or lauki supports the urinary system of our body by reducing burning sensation from high acidic urination. It also reduces the chances of urinary infection because it is alkalizing and has a diuretic effect.
3. It contains many vitamins and minerals, such as, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin A, C and folate.
4. It is extremely popular for weight loss. Especially the bottle gourd or lauki juice.
5. Bottle gourd is extremely popular for reducing high blood pressure and keeping your heart healthy/
6. Lauki or bottle gourd is known to combat excessive thirst in diabetic patients.
7. The fiber and the minerals in the bottle gourd or lauki supports healthy digestion and combats flatulence and combats constipation.
8. In Ayurveda it is also know to prevent premature greying.
9. Lauki or bottle gourd juice with a pinch of sea salt maintains the electrolyte balance in the body. This is also a great remedy for people who has diarrhea.
10. Bottle gourd is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for reducing liver inflammation.
Source: Conscious Health