Everyone who’s ever been in a long-term relationship knows that feeling: when your significant other is away, you miss them intensely. Luckily, there are ways to deal with that feeling. This easy guide will show you how. Here are the steps.
1. Don’t stress if communication is not possible. Take into account where they are. If they’re cut off from technology, stop waiting for the phone to ring or for them to sign on to AIM. You know it won’t happen, so why stress it? Even if they might have computer or phone access, don’t wait by the phone for hours or be signed into AIM every free second. It’ll only make you miss them more.
2. Distract yourself. Plan a night with friends to get your mind off your significant other. If all your friends seem to have deserted you too, get out of the house. Go to the mall or the grocery store. Take a walk. Mail that package you “forgot” about.
3. Know that while it may not seem that way, they’ll be back soon. If you find yourself missing them, tell yourself that and find something else to do/think about.
4. If none of these tips work, consider finding out if the next time your significant other is on a trip, you can find some way to either go with them or vacation near where they’ll be. For example, if they’ll be in (or near) a big city like Los Angeles or New York, you could probably go with them and have fun. Or if they’re near only near a big city, you could visit the city and just drop in for a visit.
6. Do little things that make you feel closer to him/her–wear his jackets, eat at your favorite restaurant, or look at pictures. It’s comforting to go back through good memories.
7. Try and do something special for his or her return. Planning it will help channel your excitement and keep you distracted, as well as make you feel like they’ll be back sooner.
8. Don’t talk to friends about how much you miss your significant other unless you know that they will be understanding and actually comfort you. People telling you to “get over it” often don’t understand that feeling of missing someone intensely and will make you feel worse.