Ask yourself how you’d want to be treated in a given situation, and make an effort to treat other people that way. Treat everyone you encounter as an individual worthy of basic kindness and courtesy. Treating people with respect makes the world a much more pleasurable place for everyone
Don’t discriminate. Be respectful to everyone – not just people you know or those you perceive as having a higher status than you. Many people save their respect for people upon whom they want to make a good impression, and they’re rude to everyone else. But there is truth in the saying, “You can judge the character of others by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.”
- This means you should be as kind to those who aren’t as “cool” as you as you are to the most popular people you know.
- Be kind to people you encounter throughout the day who aren’t always treated with respect. For example, homeless people are often overlooked or treated rudely, but they deserve the same respect and courtesy as anyone else.
Respect differences. Be respectful to people who are different from you, even if you don’t understand them very well. The differences among us are what make life interesting, and besides, you probably have more in common with people than you know. Even when you really don’t see where someone else is coming from, be courteous and civil. You don’t have to love everyone you meet, and you certainly don’t have to agree with them, but you can still show them respect.
- Be respectful of people’s cultural differences.
- Be respectful of people with different religious beliefs.
- Be respectful of people with different politics from you.
- Be respectful of people on the team that rivals yours (and fans of the other team).